Life is unpredictable in so many ways. If you were injured in an accident in Syracuse, you could claim compensation for your injuries. The accident could be a dog bite, a botched-up surgery, or even a slip-and-fall accident. New York is one of the dozen “no-fault” insurance states. This means that an injured person will typically file a claim with their insurer, regardless of who caused the accident. The compensation is meant to cover medical bills, income loss, and other losses. If you are hiring a Syracuse personal injury lawyer for your case, here are some tips to consider.
- Consider years in practice. How long has the attorney been practicing in NY? This is probably the most relevant question that you can ask. Experienced attorneys can always offer some assurance on the outcome.
- Specific experience is critical. The aftermath of a car accident can be very different than that of a dog bite. You need a lawyer who has enough and specific experience with similar cases. Ask the attorney if they have worked on cases that are comparable to yours.
- Discuss compensation. If you have sustained serious losses and there was another party at fault, there are limited circumstances when you can file a direct personal injury lawsuit. Your lawyer can offer an overview of the expected compensation so that you can evaluate your options.
- Ask about their fee. Usually, injury lawyers in most states work on a contingency fee. The lawyer gets paid if they win a financial settlement for you. There could be variations to this, but you need to ask the attorney about their fee.
- Discuss other expenses. The lawyer will have to spare resources to investigate the case and gather evidence. Ask the attorney if they can advance these costs for now so that you don’t have to deal with additional stress.
- Check reviews. If a lawyer claims great things about their work profile, they must have enough clients. While you can ask for references, independent online reviews are always useful and worth checking.
- Ask about availability. Many attorneys may assign the work to other lawyers and associates of the firm. You may want to know if the lawyer is available in the first place, and if they intend to designate the case to someone else, you need to meet that lawyer.
Check online for top personal injury law firms in Syracuse now.